THE LONG RANGER is Justin Simoni when pursuing his personal Trinity of Mountain Arts: trail running, mountain biking, and mountaineering.
It is when remixing these activities that THE LONG RANGER creates new and compelling challenges out-of-doors.
THE LONG RANGER champions living simply, a Do It Yourself attitude, involvement over spectatorship, and a desire for adventure.
Guided Backpacking Trips
Justin guides through Andrew Skurka Adventures, LLC. View the backpacking trip schedules, and reserve a spot, today.
Longs Peak by Bike
With Longs Peak being of close-enough proximity to Boulder to ride to by bike and back, the mountain has been a long-term focus of mine in the realm of Longs Peak duathlons. Some notable firsts, accomplishments and interesting facts:
- Most Lifetime Longs Peak Duathlons: dozen+
- First Known Winter Longs Peak Duathlon: 3/12/14
- Most Winter Longs Peak Duathlons: 4
- Most Routes used to Summit during a Longs Peak Duathlon:
- Northwest Gully
- Trough Direct to Southwest Ridge
- FKT Longs Peak Duathlon via Keyhole, strictly following the trail (no shortcuts below treeline): 9h58m, 8/10/2015
- First/Only/Fastest Known Longs Peak Duathlon Radical Slam (Radical Slam summits Longs Peak as well as Estes Cone, Battle Mountain, Mt. Lady Washington, Storm Peak, Pagoda Mountain, and Mt. Meeker): 7/19/2014
- Most Longs Duathlon Radical Slams: 3; 7/19/2014, 10/30/16, 6/17/16,
- First to complete the Longs Peak Duathlon from each of the three main trailheads: Wild Basin (4/12/2017), East Longs TH (6/1/13), Glacier Gorge (11/9/2016)
- Closest to finishing the Self Powered Longs Peak Project: (summit Longs Peak by a different route, for every month of the year, open project) in 2016:
- August: Cables
- September: Keyhole
- October: Radical Slam
- November: Trough Direct to Southwest Ridge
- Closest to completing a Longs Peak Duathlon in all 12 months in any year: March-January (every month except February – open project)
- Longest time to summit Longs Peak by bike, leaving and returning to the same location: 34+ days, 2014; 60+ days; 2017
Stuck on Freeway: eleven miles (240 pitches) on The Second Flatiron, Boulder Colorado (2018)
The Complete Mosquito-Tenmile Range Traverse (2018)
Only Known Time (OKT) traverse of the entire Mosquito-Tenmile range from Trout Creek Pass to Frisco, CO. 3+ days.
Tour of the Highest Hundred, 2017
Self-Powered, Self-Supported FKT of the Highest Hundred Peaks of Colorado; 60+ days.
- Adventure Journal: This Guy Just Rode and Climbed Colorado’s 100 Highest Peaks, Self Supported and Non-Stop
- REI Co-op Journal: Justin Simoni Summits Colorado’s Highest Hundred Peaks. By Bike.
- Bikepacking.com: Interview With The Long Ranger
- Men’s Journal: Meet the Colorado Adventure Junkie Who Summited The State’s 100 Highest Peaks in Just 60 Days
Everesting Green Mountain, Boulder Colorado (2017)
Thirteen out-and-back laps up Green Mountain without rest to match the elevation of Mt. Everest.
- Trip Report: The Everest Out My Back Door
Tour 14er, 2014
Self-Powered, Self-Supported FKT of the 58 14ers of Colorado; 34 days, 12 hours.
Tour Divide (twice), 2011, 2012
Self Supported Mountain Bike Race across the United States