On the Long Ranger Blog

From: "Long Ranger Express" <me@PROTECTED>
Date: November 8th 2021

Howdy Everyone,

It's the first Monday of the month! Here's what's been happening on the blog:

Vlog: The Most Dangerous Ridge in the Sawatch: Birthday Peak to Mt. Harvard

Read More

iRunFar: Trailhead Vehicles: Justin Simoni and His Bicycles

HIking to Torreys Peak on the first Loveland Pass to Guanella Pass bike portage!

I talk to Alex Potter over at iRunFar about my love affair with bicycles and how I use them to get the trailheads to run the trails in their Trailhead Vehicles series! Give it a read and make sure to follow them for their excellent race/running culture coverage!

Read More

Mountain Trip Safety: What I Do Before I Go

Storm over Grays and Torreys

I’ve put myself into some pretty stupid situations of my own making. It’s sometimes amazing even to me that I’ve gotten out of a few of them relatively unscathed. Like that one time I thought it would be absolutely brilliant to ride from Denver pedaling a completely overloaded trailer-laden bike with all my gear, then make my camp on top of a ridgeline at 13,000′ where an old mining road ended, 60 miles later:

Before I perfected my gear choices, a bike trip to hike a mountain included an absurd load to haul
Before I perfected my gear choices, a bike trip to hike a mountain included an absurd load to haul

By the time I topped-out onto the ridge, a storm was fiercely building up cross valley on the resident 14er.

Read More

Praxis – 10/20/21

Anton Krupicka, 3rd @ Leadville 100, 2021

Needing no introduction, I was still extremely impressed with Anton’s performance at Leadville this year. I can certainly relate to the struggles of chronic injury (can’t we all), but putting in such a fast time, while also growing and developing as an athlete (climbing, cycling) the way he has is clearly showing his outliner-like talent.

Read More

Training Journal: 10/11/21 – 10/17/21

South Green Mountain from Nebel Horn

Monday

Longs Peak Duathlon: Northwest Gully

Most of the tracks failed to record properly – whatcha gunna do? This was my ~42nd summit of Longs Peak with an approach by bike. First time using the Blizzard GTX‘s this season.

Read More

Longs Peak Duathlon: Northwest Gully

Aspens Leaves and the La Sportiva Blizzard GTX

A good trip to Longs Neníisótoyóú’u on Columbus Indigenous Peoples Day. Left around 3:30am feeling fairly languid, but psyched enough to push up James Canyon/Overland Rd. (St. Vrain is essentially closed to bikes for construction). It’s a steeper route with more elevation gain, but it’s also actually shorter by a few miles.

Read More

Longs Peak Weather Planning Resources

Longs Peak Webcam

It’s that time again, where I’m looking for weather windows between systems to try to summit Longs Peak! I’ve summited Longs Peak in every month of the year by many different routes – usually with an approach by bike!

Here are resources that I use:

Longs Peak Webcam

Longs Peak Webcam
Longs Peak Webcam

This webcam points mostly at the enormous east face of Longs Peak, but you can get a good idea on conditions of the North Face (Cables route), the approach to the Keyhole, as well as the Loft.

Read More

Until next time,

Long May You Range!

  • This mailing list is announce-only.

News and updates from Justin Simoni as: THE LONG RANGER

Privacy Policy:

We don't share your personal information with anyone, for any reason.