If you’re enjoying this content, considering joining my Patreon to support future work.
Peter Bakwin and Mike Priddy have attempted to backpack the Nolans route a few times. Peter’s trip reports can be read here and Mike’s report is here. These trip reports do highlight the need for Plan B’s, and good beta on how to bail/skip mountains. It’s a tough line, fast or slow!
Also see my guide on accessing the 14ers that are close (enough) to the Colorado Trail, many of the routes which share what you would do in Nolans/Slow-lans.
Comparisons to Other Routes
Samuel Chaneles has a comparison between the Nolans and Pfiffner lines, to get a better idea of what’s in store for you.
Slow-lans Guide Navigation:
- Slow-lans Introduction
- Caltopo Route Map Legend
- Start to Shavano + Tabeguache
- Tabeguache Peak to Mt. Antero
- Mt. Antero to Mt. Princeton
- Mt. Princeton to Mt. Yale
- Mt. Yale to Mt. Columbia and Mt. Harvard
- Mt. Oxford, Mt. Belford and Missouri Mountain
- Missouri Mountain to Huron Peak
- Huron Peak to La Plata Peak
- La Plata Peak to Mt. Elbert
- Mt. Elbert to Mount Massive and finishing at the Fish Hatchery
- 6 Day Trip Itinerary
- 4 Day Trip Itinerary
- Additional Resources
This guide is currently being written and is far from complete. Receive updates on this guide, as well as the rest of the site by subscribing with your email address: